Varahas Vengeance by Arun Krishnan | Book review


 Book review: 

After reading Nandi's Charge I was so intrigued in the story that I was eager to unfold the next part. 
"Varaha's Vengeance" picks up where Nandi's Charge left off. It is a thrilling, exciting sequel where readers follow Pulikeshi's response to the challenge posed by the young lion from Kanchi.

The story reaches its next level and works on two levels. First, the political battles between the Pallavas and the Chalukyas for supremacy in region continue, riveting readers with the machinations and conspiracies. The narrative also gives a glimpse into the world of that time, show casing the vapour and chivalry of that era.

On the second level, our heroes progress to the next stage of their quest. Elango, Muthuvel and Kannan continue to deliver for their king, making new friends, enemies and falling in love along the way.

Backed by their powerful allies, the Chalukyas spare no effort in their attempts to decimate the Pallava army. The very survival of the Pallavas hangs in the balance. Can they withstand the unbridled force unleashed by the resurgent Chalukyas or will they succumb to the overwhelming might of their adversaries? Can they rally their defences before all is lost?

I adored the power of young soldiers who had the capability to walk faster than they could on a horse ride. There were so many hidden topics that intrigued me to think about the difference of loyalty and betrayal by the fellow rulers. Their self esteem through their ego issues was the basic reason of so many conflicts. 

I appreciate the part where Sanghamitra rose her voice to be part of state craft and actively take part in all political affairs and decision. Though it was not easy for her but her stubborn vision paved the way for her and she was granted her wish. 

Like wars happening in this era, wars or battles of that era also caused a lot of destruction. I was touched by the line in book: " But the seige machines were causing immense damage to the fort walls. There is no way to fight that. All you can do is take cover and hope that some rock doesn't have your name written on it, thought Elango."

I was too captivated in the narrative and each step taken by the either side of the armies was giving me goosebumps and my urge to know the next step grew stronger. Even the little scenes of the heroes portraying their love was also sweet.

The author has out done himself in the second instalment of the Battle of Vathapi trilogy. The battle scenes unfold themselves before the reader's mind, adding a breathtaking sense of "What happens next?" Before you know it, you are at the cliffhanger of this compelling page-turner that makes you wait for the next instalment with a bated breath. Top post on Blogchatter

Overall, this book acts as a milestone in the genre of historical fiction. It is engrossing, detailed and fascinating that will transport the readers to a time gone by.


This blog post is part of the blog challenge Blogaberry Dazzle hosted by Cindy DSilva and Noor Anand Chawla in collaboration with Mads' Cookhouse.

#BlogaberryDazzle #blogchatter #bookchatter #historicalfiction #bookishlife2022_ #fiction 

Comments

  1. I have also read both the books in the series. And I find his writing style very captivating. The characters and stories are well fleshed out. I am looking forward to the last book now to see the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read either of the books. Sounds interesting. Must pick it up for some action, adventure and of course re-read history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I haven't read the book myself, your excitement about it is contagious. those war scenes you mentioned sound intense! I can only imagine how suspenseful it must be to read about the battles unfolding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know this author and his work. But after reading your review it seems interesting. May I will check it out but I don't like to read war and all. It disturb me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading your review, I'm genuinely intrigued by "Varaha's Vengeance." It sounds like a captivating journey through history. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book takes up the story from where it was left in the first part, named Nandi’s Charge. It presents a thrilling tale of bravehearts from both the Pallava and the Chalukya clans and the trials and tribulations they face. It is a roller coaster ride that reflects the grandeur of the Pallava and Chalukya empires and their thirst for utmost supremacy. I read this book and the previous one also. Both managed to captivate me till the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Varaha's Vengeance" sounds so good going by your review, and I think I should also read "Nandi's Charge " I like mythological or Historical fiction especially one that has mystery. Thanks for the in-depth review and comparison of both books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do give it a read. You won't be disappointed. I am the author :)

      Delete
  8. I haven't heard of this author. I'm not into war stories; they make me uneasy. I prefer reading suspense or romance for a more relaxed time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read the series by the author but your review definitely has me intrigued. I would love to read a good Indian historical fiction. It does come highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like both the books are interesting and captivating reads. I have always liked history and historical fiction but after Amish I am a big fan of mythological historical fiction too. Although my reading has taken a back seat at the moment, I am tempted to read these books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Historial fiction stories are always full of excitement the best part I think is we get to revist the age were the great kings and worriors lived. That is a pleasent review to read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Historical fiction is a great always and are entertaining to next level.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, so this is part of a series! I haven't heard/ didn't know of the author or this series. I'm intrigued after reading your review. Going on Amazon right away. Thanks for the recommendation

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a student of history and I am very sad now to read how Indian History has been mutilated by the historians. Fiction is ok but academic books too pander to political vote banks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the review. Seems very intersting. Would love to get the book,

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love historical fiction as our history is so rich and fascinating. I would love to grab these books and I am sure it will keep me occupied for a month. Thanks for your honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely loved the detailed review and I'm sure that both the books will interest me. Thanks for sharing the review

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely review! I find reading history set in stories is such an interesting way to revisit past times and enjoy some imaginary retelling of not-so-fictitious past.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm not familiar with this series but glad to know you enjoyed it so much.
    Noor

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

For any query, do message me. I will surely try to resolve at my earliest.