Spreading Joy: How Joyalukkas Became the World's Favourite Jeweller Joy Alukkas , Thomas Scaria , Nidhi Jain | Book review

Book review:

Whenever I went to purchase jewellery I used to wonder about the lifestyles and struggles faced by any jeweller. A few days back, when I went to purchase a few books on a book fair I stumbled on a book I planned to read. This was none other than Spreading Joy, a memoir of a jeweller. I wanted to know more about him and his journey to becoming the World's Favourite Jeweller.

Spreading Joy is an engrossing and insightful memoir of a leading jeweller. In this book, the author shares that he is one of the fifteen kids of his parents. He was obedient and reluctant to do anything for his father from the beginning. He loved to explore new places, roam around on his bike to follow his father's commands and do any work related to moving from one place to another. 

His siblings never considered him worthy of any business and felt beyond competition. As per the needs and customs of the family, his siblings got married soon and were involved in business responsibilities leaving them devoid of proper education. But the need of time, he was asked to complete college so that business could be expanded. His adventure-filled curiosity made a path for him to explore his luck in UAE after his marriage to Jolly. 

He took the help of his known people to seek a visa and explore the place over there so that he could open a showroom in UAE. The author here shares his struggles in finding a sponsor for him and then finding a place where he can open a showroom over there. He shares how he got a sponsor and the one who became his mentor for opening a showroom later turned out to be a strong competitor. But he never gave up his efforts, patience and perseverance and opened many showrooms one by one in varied places.

Slowly and steadily he grew up as a famous entrepreneur and a famous personality. The core values taught by his father made his pillars of strength and guided him to make practical decisions even after the partition of the Alukkas family business. He shared a jovial and understanding relationship with his family and a respectful grandparent of six grandchildren.

The author has shared his insightful journey of hardships and struggles to his success. The language is lucid and evocative. The way he shared his learnt concepts of finance and business is really praiseworthy.

Quotes from the book that piqued me:
💎"Finance is the lifeline of any business, so a core understanding of finance is mandatory if one wants to become a great businessman".

💎"No matter how hopeless your circumstances seem to be, and how helpless you feel, the best way forward is to take action. To shake off the feeling of despair and get up and do something, instead of waiting for a solution or a grand stroke of luck."

💎"A powerful brand cannot be built overnight. It demands continual investment in product innovation, branding and marketing."

Overall, this book is an inspiring memoir full of interesting stories and anecdotes. The books had some of the family pictures of Joy. And most of the inauguration pictures had Joy and his wife together. This increased my respect for him. I respect him for giving his wife equal rights, respect and love she deserves. The book is filled with beautiful quotes that we can completely resonate with. Highly recommended!

This blog post is part of the blog challenge Blogaberry Dazzle hosted by Cindy DSilva and Noor Anand Chawla in collaboration with Bohemian Bibliophile.


Purchase: Spreading Joy

Comments

  1. Is it a thin book? From your short review the book sounds interesting and I would like to read it but only if it is not more than 400 pages thick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is merely 200 pages long and is an easy read. You will like it.

      Delete
  2. The quotes you shared from the book are indeed thought-provoking, especially regarding the importance of finance in business, taking action in difficult circumstances, and building a powerful brand through continual investment and innovation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 15 kids! That's one big family. I actually like their jewellery. Would love to read the book. Success is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something that the book offers which I understood from your review and I am sure I will love to read. I love reading life history or journey of the people who did something really big in life and contributed in the economic growth of the nation. I will Pick a copy soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read about him but not yet read his book. After reading your crisp reviews it seems interesting to me. I wanted to know how he build his own personal brand with spreading of joy. Thank you for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book excerpt by you sounds super interesting and motivating. Joyalukkas is such a well known and famous brand, to know the human story and lessons behind it is so inspiring and motivating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liked your review. Happy be exposed to your blog through the Story teller's bloghop what's app group.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this book sounds absolutely captivating! I love memoirs that offer insights into the lives and journeys of individuals who have overcome struggles to achieve success. "Spreading Joy" seems to be one of those gems that not only shares the author's personal story but also imparts valuable lessons in entrepreneurship and life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey this book looks really good and worth a read. Taking action yes that is the key, being resilient, perseverance and taking challengees makes joy who he is and everyone should follow these qualities to be successful. I bought two sets fron joy Allukas..loved them both and being complimented many times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have heard a lot about him but never knew his backgtor struggle. His journey is indeed inspiring. It takes a lot to create a business from scratch and he sure has put his all in creating this famous brand.

    ReplyDelete
  11. After reading your review, I'm intrigued to check out this book. The insightful quotes you shared are thought-provoking. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am already familiar with him, and I'm happy you shared this book with us. I'd rather shop at Joyalukkas than read this 😁 but it's still going on my reading list.
    -Anjali

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not much into non-fiction but those quotes sound so inspiring. You've definitely compelled me to at least check this book out. So job well done with the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The book sounds interesting. I am sure my daughter would love reading it. I will share this review with her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book sounds like a gem from the jewellery magnate. We never hear heroic tales of mango people. This book is surely a page turner.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been hearing good reviews of this book across platforms and I'm very sure it is an inspiring read. Thanks for the recommendation

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoy reading about people's journeys, especially when it is about setting up a business with limited support and resources.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That book must be amazing. I am able to understand from the review and the quotes you shared this book is a must for any one who want to excel in business.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds so interesting! I love reading (more than that watching) real life stories.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow this sounds interesting! I love reading (even more watching) real life stories.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds quite interesting... Thanks for sharing the review.
    Noor

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

For any query, do message me. I will surely try to resolve at my earliest.