If I Have To Be A Soldier by Nikhil J. Alva | Book review


 Book: If I Have To Be A Soldier
Author: Nikhil J. Alva
Publisher: Harper Collins
Genre:  Literary and Contemporary Fiction
Rating: 5/5

Book review:
"If I Have to Be a Soldier" is a captivating read that hooked me from the beginning till the end. I was quite intrigued by the book cover where I found two persons face-to-face and a few of the rats climbing the trees. The story moves around these two persons who have a secretive past that gets unfolded layer by layer.

The story begins when Captain Samuel returns to his native place after long for a mission assigned by the Indian ARMY. Samuel is introduced to a traitor who is caught up by the commandant and brutally tortured for days. Samuel needs to find out from him the complete list of his supporters. But he is startled to find out that this traitor calls him a coward. On close examination, he gets to know that this traitor is none other than his childhood friend Che or Sena. 

As the events unfold, both of them find themselves saving the wild animals, the army and the local community. I was intrigued by their background and how they turned out to be as they are today. The characters provide vivid illustrations of the perspective of people and how your childhood actions predict the personality of a person. 

The strength of the book lies in the opportunity to depict the emotions and turmoils of people who suffered during that period in Mizoram.  The way the lives of Sena, Samuel and Martha are related makes it a more captivating read. 

The author's narration clarifies and moves readers to the magnificent inclines of Mizoram and the unforgiving genuine elements of war. The characters are incredible and high-level, each having an outstanding personality that imparts a deep impact. Sammy and Che are both smart figures, and they fight to oblige their commitment with their internal voice urging them to do something useful for their natives.

The book carefully puts across the perspectives of the different sides of the story - of the military and local people from the third individual perspective, and at the same time shows the mercilessness of the events, exercises and plans that were worked there.

I was furthermore familiar with new information, like the hour of Mautam in Mizoram, where bamboo shoots pass on after the sprouting season, inviting rodents into their fields and causing outrageous starvation. A critical number of the unquestionable events in Mizoram which were in advance dark were brought out in the story.

It exhibits the way that the recklessness of people in power can provoke a change of life, contemplations, mind science and along these lines, the way of thinking of people and how it can provoke crushing outcomes. Through the story and the characters, it considers the movements that, expecting have been raised, could have provoked an overall exceptional picture and how it is absolutely incongruent with this present reality.

The first uncovers an understanding of a semi-secret battle in Indian history, making it both educational and provocative. I would endorse this book to readers who are enthused about obvious fiction, particularly stories about less famous disputes. I would moreover recommend it to readers who value character-driven stories and books that research the complexities of war and character.

So generally, this book, however, has a few imperfections in narrating makes it encouraging in having the option to make individuals more mindful of the issues and the historical backdrop of the Mizo nation through this scholarly and contemporary fiction and consequently, it is prescribed to the ones who are anticipating beginning finding out about it.


This review is powered by Blogchatter Book Review Program

This blog post is part of the blog challenge Blogaberry Dazzle hosted by Cindy DSilva and Noor Anand Chawla in collaboration with Growing with Nemit.


#TBRChallenge #bookchatter #bookblogger #books #bookreviews #bookreview #ifihavetobeasoldier #harpercollinsin 

Comments

  1. Shifali,I concur with your book review of 'If I Have to Be a solider' by Nikhil Alva, for me it was quite engaging, and although I was aware of a lot of events in the book, the tiny details and the narration made it more interesting for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fabulous book. I needed a book based in Northeast India for a reading activity. Thank you for this recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I loved the plot of this book. The way you narrated about Sam and Che is really very captivating. The plot is gripping and I am curious to know about the climax. Going to buy this book and share my review too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a must-read, two friends and strange circumstances. Bookmarked it for my #TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like a very intriguing read- have not read about this part of the country much and this book seems like the perfect way to start on it. Love the way you have described the book, and will def give it a read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your review is intriguing. I plan to get my hands on this book. Thank you for the recco.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The review gave me the clear glimpse about what the book can offer me as a reader, but the summary was also good to give a sneek peak about what the story could be. I applied but I missed the chance to grab the copy. But never mind as your review is enough to make me buy a copy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Added this to my TBR. Sound very itneresting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book sounds amazing! I love how it mixes personal stories with Mizoram's history. The deep characters and their emotional journeys make me want to read it. Thanks for the detailed review.
    -Anjali Tripathi

    ReplyDelete
  10. The book If 'I Have To Be A Soldier' looks interesting if I go by your review. It's on my TBR list now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love character-driven stories and I've read a few more positive reviews about this book before coming across your review post. I just might give this book a try. Thanks for the recommendation, Shifali :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an interesting plot. Would love to see some movie made out of this. The premise is quite engaging.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The plot sounds so interesting! Such a fresh take. I will love to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the book for being character-driven and set in northeast India, a vast region away from my native place and about which I know very little. I have included it in my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very few people are even aware of the Mizo rebellion and I doubt there are many books on it. The book sounds like worth a read for sure. I do have it on my TBR. Time to pick it up. Thanks for sharing the review.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm reading a lot of reviews with regards to this book. The plot does sound intriguing. Will sure try reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds intriguing and I have read a few review before about this book as well. Definitely adding it to my tbr

    ReplyDelete
  18. The book sounds interesting. I am from an army background and like reading book about soldiers. Both good and bad.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like an interesting book. One rarely comes across books that are set in such times, that too in mizoram.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The story does look promising and engaging and your review makes it all the more so Shifali. Understanding Mizoram's history would also be an interesting thing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is usually not the type of book that I like to read but I like how the deep meaning behind it talks about how childhood experiences are connected to the psyche.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't read any fictional story set in Mizoram and this sounds as good a book as any to start. The characters sound good and the intriguing story will surely keep me hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, what an inspiring read! Nikhil J's journey is so moving and heartfelt. The way he portrays the life of a soldier makes me appreciate their sacrifices even more. Thank you for sharing this powerful story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

For any query, do message me. I will surely try to resolve at my earliest.